February 2, 2010

Spring has sprung!

In August last year we got five fluffy yellow ducklings. Four ducks and a drake. They were unbelievably cute and now they are massive white noisy birds.





The hens slowed down in the egg laying department when the dark weather descended but they're making up for lost time now. The ducks are Aylesbury, supposed to be for the table and are unreliable layers. But I believe in my girls and last Friday, Tada!


An egg. A perfect egg. And there's been one egg every morning since. I couldn't wait to make a sponge cake, Duck eggs are gorgeous for baking with.


Duck Egg Sponge
Ingredients

2 duck eggs
3oz caster sugar
2oz plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Method
  • Preheat your oven to 190.

  • Whisk the eggs and sugar together until really thick and fluffy.


  • Carefully fold in the sieved flour and baking powder with a metal spoon.
  • Divide the mixture into two 7inch sandwich tins.
  • Bake in the centre of the oven for 9-10 minutes.
  • Turn the cake out carefully once it's cooled and sandwich together with raspberry jam and softly whipped cream. Dust generously with icing sugar.


Gorgeous!


P.S. I must stop making cakes, but at least this one has no butter! x Lilly

2 comments:

  1. The whiteness of those eggs is beautiful and your telephone seat is a huge improvement, much fresher and prettier than it was. But that's not why I called. I called to say that your idea of Cath Kidston shopping by phone is a great idea - delivery charges online are v. high and their UK customer service is flakey. So that's what I'll do next time. Thanks for the tip and looking forward to more of yr blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment! If you're ever in Cobh let me know and I'll give you some duck eggs! x

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!x