February 8, 2010

Pop over for breakfast...

I love having a big breakfast. Its supposed to be the most important meal of the day. On weekdays I just about make it out the door to work with a yogurt on board and, if I'm organised, porridge. The story is the same on Saturdays, as I run The Creativity Club, so Sundays are my only opportunity for breakfasting like a king! Not that I need an excuse.
This Sunday I made Blueberry Popovers.



This recipe came about by me lying in bed thinking I love Yorkshire puddings and I love blueberries. Why not?
In America the Yorkshire pudding is known as a Popover. Gas. My recipe is based on Tim Allens' basic American popovers from The Ballymaloe Bread book which is a real gem.


Ingredients


4oz plain flour

2 eggs

10fl oz milk

1/2 oz butter, melted

1 tablespoon light brown sugar


Mix these 3 together: Zest of 1/2 lemon, 2 handfuls of frozen blueberries ,1 tablespoon sugar


Method

  • Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and drop in the eggs.
  • Whisk gradually bringing in the flour from the sides of the bowl
  • Add the milk in a steady flow and mix like crazy.

  • Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter then whisk into the batter.

  • Leave to stand for half an hour or as long as you can. (You could make it the night before!)

  • Brush some sunflower oil all over two 8inch cake tins.
  • Place in a hot, 230 degree, oven until the oil starts to smoke.

  • Quickly fill the tins with the batter.

  • Cook for 5 mins then place the blueberry mixture into the centre of each one.

  • Return to the oven & cook for a further 20-25 mins until golden, puffed up and crispy.

Ease it out of the tin, and onto a plate, top with a dollop of creamy vanilla yogurt. I used Glenisk vanilla yogurt, its not too sweet or sharp.
This is so gorgeous. you have to try it!

Lilly x

2 comments:

  1. I've never made sweet Yorkshire puddings, but these look ever so tempting. And you've reminded me that I'll have to get myself to Ballymaloe again soon for their dessert and cheese trolley experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mise! The desert trolley is infamous, softly whipped cream on everything!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!x